Tuesday 24 June 2014

Plot 67

June 22nd 2014
I have decide to keep a blog of the work I get up to at my allotment, and maybe throw in some of the other growing I do.
I work on the plot with my wife, Kate. It would be great if we could keep ourselves self sufficient in veggies for the year, but as we both work, growing has to be an as and when affair.
Last year we won the prize for the largest onion in show at the local Fete, but this year, we have no chance.
We arrived down at the allotment this year to find it had suffered. Admittedly, we had been absent for about 4 months, and we had only got our lazy butts down to the plot because the council had sent us a warning letter to start cultivating or leave, but we were still devastated to see what it was like.
The rain had waterlogged most of the area, and the weeds and grass had grown to about 3 foot high. The pathways were covered in weeds, and nothing edible was showing.
We didn't do any work that day, we went home and had a long discussion as to wether we should continue.
Kate works in the NHS and is out early and back late. I am running a small business selling electronics ( see my website here ). So time is not something we are rich with.
The decision was made that I would try and get the plot in control over a few weekends.
The next few weeks saw torrential rain.
Eventually though, we could make a start, and the weeds were strimmered,  just to stop the council repo!
Two phrases keep popping in to my head.
1. Bulls**t baffles brains  (so if I make it look worked they will probably believe it is worked)
2. You are always in the s**t its only the depth that varies


No comments:

Post a Comment