Wednesday 2 July 2014

More Weeding

Another pleasent evening yesterday. I hopped on my bike and rode down to the plot.
The recent good weather has really brought the veg along, and the peas planted last weekend are showing.
Unfortunately, the weeds are growing well too. If you are new to allotments, you will be surprised at how quickly they grow, and how much time is spent weeding. I recorded a very short video of the technique I use, which I hope will be useful.

Weeds use the nutrients and moisture in the soil leaving less for the vegetables, so it is important to get rid of them. You will see lots of discussions about composting annual weeds, but not perennial weeds. Good luck sorting them out! I put all my weeds onto a pile, away from the compost bins. Over a few years, the bottom of this pile will become useable as topsoil.
I advocate removal of the entire weed, including the root. Some weeds like dandelions will regenerate from the smallest part of a root left behind. Its not a huge problem, it just means you have more weeding to do later.
Don't do too much, a little and often is the key. Its only veg!

No comments:

Post a Comment