Friday 18 July 2014

Wolf Garten - Comfort Grass Shear -Review

I like the idea of "little and often" when applied to working on the allotment. In line with this ethos, it is not always convenient to break out the strimmer, particularly if I am only working on a small area.
With this in mind, I picked up the Wolf Garten Comfort Shears at the weekend.
I have it in mind to be able to trim small areas, without the hassle of the strimmer.

The Review

The shears I picked are the Wolf Garten Comfort Grass Shear with 180' Rotating blade.
The shears feel comfortable in my hand, and are lightweight. To the front of the top grip there is a locking button, which keeps the shears locked shut. This button feels secure and can be operated by your thumb easily.
The blade can be turned from Left Vertical, through Horizontal to Right Vertical. It turns easily, and the cutting action doesn't seem effected by position.
One blade is "fixed", whilst the other moves, giving a scissor action.
Cutting Right handed, horizontally, from right to left, the action is spot on, but cutting left to right, the moving blade gets awkward. The shears are therefore best for Right handed use. It would have been nice to see the blade able to rotate 360', as they could then be used equally well by "lefties"
Although I intend to use these only for trimming small areas of grass on the pathways, I ferlt that it was a good idea to get stuck in, and try these out on something much tougher.

On my plot I have a vegetable bed which has become overgrown with long grass and tough weeds. I chose this as the testbed. 
The shears, as expected, are nice and sharp, and cut through the grass quickly and easily. The effort required to squeeze the blades closed in minimal. The shears coped well with woody stems up to about 1/4", which pleasently surprised me. 
Being one handed operation, it was easy to hold onto the grass whilst it was cut. Normally, when using the strimmer, there are pieces of the grass over a huge area.
Overall, I can find little to fault the shears for the intended purpose.

Rating          ****    4 stars
Cost             around £20
Comfort       *****  5stars
Quality         ****   4 stars

If you fancy trying a set, here is a link

No comments:

Post a Comment