Monday 28 July 2014

Clay Soil to Good Growing - Shall I grow Veg, or make Bricks?

I submitted a post recently where I used the Hand Shears to trim the grass off an overgrown bed.
This is what it looked like
We tried to grow Strawberries on this bed once, with no success. The reason? I believe it is down to the shallow top soil layer that it has. At one time the whole allotment plot was similar to this bed, although this area is the worst.
To try and get this bed going I am "double digging"
If you think you have a clay soil, take a look at this:
I am going to update this post as I work through turning this clay into a bed for good vegetable growing, or I am going to open cast mine the plot, and become a brick manufacturer.
I'm not sure which will be the least amount of work.

Decision made! I'm going to give myself a hernia and convert the brick factory into a good veg bed!

Read The steps I take with these links

Double Digging



No comments:

Post a Comment