Friday 1 August 2014

Clay Soil to Good Growing Step 1 - Chopping the clods


This is an update to my Clay Soil Post
Here it is at the start


Step 1
On Tuesday evening I finished off the Double Digging, then made a start on breaking up the clay.
I have a plan to try and get the fine particles of clay to stick to larger particles, such as the topsoil, and then add some sand to break it down further.
To accomplish this I first needed to break down the big lumps of clay, and get the smaller clumps bonding to the black top soil. I don't know what the right tool to use is, but I have got a small Honda FG110 Tiller. I am sure that this is way under powered for the task, but I had a go anyway

The job took a good couple of hours, and the tiller kept getting gummed up with the clay. Please remember to switch the engine off before clearing a blockage.

 Stay Safe

Eventually though this step was done, and it is starting to look better
My Honda Tiller is worked hard on the plot, and has never let me down, apart from on one occasion when I lent it to a friend who decided to use 2-stroke oil in it!
The Honda is a 4-stroke engine, its easy to start, and even though its only 25cc, it gives plenty of power. Expect to pay around £470 for one, or look to hire one from a local hire shop for around £20 for the weekend.
Link to Next Step 
View the Steps from the Beginning Here 

No comments:

Post a Comment