Thursday 7 August 2014

Clay Soil to Good Growing - Stage 3 "Humous is not funny"

My hopes of a dry evening were dashed as the heavens opened. I should have gone home instead of working this bed, but enthusiasm got the better of me.
We had ordered some composted bracken from the lake district. This is really good stuff for addidng humous to the clay, and is a traditional method of breaking it down apparently.
2 bags of "Lakeland Gold"
At £10/bag it seems pricey, but when you open the bags you can see where the money is. I would have liked to use more, but budget constraints kept us to 2 bags. On the plus side, because we ordered some other compost too, our order of 5 bags was postage free, and the delivery was quick!

Spread out the Fibrous Compost
 If you want to know more about "LakelandGold" here is a link http://www.dalefootcomposts.co.uk/

The LG was stirred in with the trusty tiller, and then to give more humous I added some cheap farmyard manure
After This was stirred in the bed was starting to look something like a reasonable state, which is more than could be said for me. I stunk of manure, and my feet were weighed down with sticky clay. Not Funny!
Anyway, the bed is getting close to what I wanted, time to bring in the secret army!
There is a pile of Dung on the allotment site, it stinks, but look what I found in it!
 Thousands of worms! Just what I need, they can do some of the work for me. I spread a few buckets of this poo on the bed.
That will do for now. Next Step, Planting
Link to Final Stage 
View the Steps from the Beginning Here 

No comments:

Post a Comment